Friday, June 15, 2012

MercerMZ review (with videos): So You Think You Can Dance, Salt Lake City auditions

To keep it short and brief, here are a few of my favorites from the So You Think You Can Dance Salt Lake City auditions: 

Deanna "Dee" Tomasetta - (19 yrs. old, from Millbury, MA) Dancing to a cover of "If I Can't Make You Love Me", I would call this a lyrical jazz audition since it seems to contain elements of contemporary & jazz in it. Among the few contemporary auditions showcased, she was the standout for me. The control in her movements is wonderful, and she picked a great song to dance too.


 Gene Lonardo - (22 yrs. old, from Las Vegas, NV) Dancing a conceptual jazz piece to Jahcoozi's "Fish Radio Edit". This one surprised me. Typically, when I see people show up in heavy make-up or strange clothing, they usually don't do well at all. But Gene here was amazing. I'll let him explain his piece for you, but I will say this was my favorite male contemporary/jazz audition from this set. 
 

 Lindsay Arnold - (18 yrs. old, from Provo, UT) Dancing a Cha Cha to Deadmau5's "Ghost n' Stuff", she's one of the few ballroom auditions the show has aired this season. She had really great energy, great control of her movements, and besides, I was glad to see some ballroom highlighted for once. I also chose this audition because of a (pardon the bad pun) "blitz" of ballroom dancers to follow, showcasing styles from the American Tango, Rumba, and what appears to be a Quickstep, and Samba. 
 

Mariah Spears - (18 yrs. old, from Phoenix, AZ) "Krumping" to Kardinal Offishall's "Set It Off". I say "krumping" in quotations because to me, this isn't really krumping. It honestly looks more like a hip hop audition with maybe a few elements of krump thrown in there. Granted, she had the right attitude of a krumper, but I think she's only got the basics down. Regardless, this was a solid audition from her; Nice energy, nice attitude, the choreo. was decent, and she has a great personality.  

Salt Lake City featured a short montage of returning competitors, including Amber Williams (aud. in S8 in San Francisco), Chase Thomas (aud in S8 in Salt Lake City) and Adrian Lee (aud. in S7 and was cut in The Green Mile). 

 

And, as mentioned on the first page of this review, my top pick for the show was Leroy Martinez - (29 yrs. old, from Sacramento, CA) Dancing to Chris Brown's "Yeah x3". Hands down, this was not only my favorite Salt Lake City audition, but also my favorite audition this season! I won't spoil it for you, but let me just say, being a slightly big guy myself, I love watching big guys bust a move. And not just bust a move, but also completely murder their set. Plus, he has such a fantastic personality; By the time it was over, I was standing up and applauding him, along with the audience. 
Click here to leave comments and to return to the first page. And come back tomorrow for predictions on who will shine in the Las Vegas round of So You Think You Can Dance. Thanks again MercerMZ!