Monday, April 11, 2011

One more: Zekeish's review of ABDC6's Lil Wayne Challenge

I'm not a big numbers fan, so I have decided to do this review with words serving as my ratings. My scale is as follows:
OH MY TITS= A perfect performance. Their transitions were on point, their choreography was squeaky clean, they had wow moments that made you want to disrespect the nearest replay button. Basically the performance that makes a season
FANTABULOUS= Close to a perfect performance. There was just one thing that kept them from being perfection incarnated.
FREAK A LEAK= A great performance. Definitely an eye catcher, but had some problems with some aspects of their performance
GOODISH= A good performance. Had some noticeable problems but still had an overall solid performance that has rewatchability
MEH= An okay performance, nothing outside the ordinary. Had some glaring problems or provided no real wow factor.
SHUT IT OFF= A less than average performance, nothing really went right here. Had some concepts that could have been executed better, but nothing really made you like the performance
ID RATHER WATCH A JUSTIN BIEBER CONCERT= A horrible performance, absolutely nothing intriguing about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
OPENING NUMBER-
Great piece, the opening number did a good job in showing you what each crew was about. I.aM.mE showed their visuals already, Eclectic Gentleman showed their cleanliness, Request showed that they are hard hitting with every movement. They are all up IN CHO FACE. Phunk Phenomenon showed their high energy clean choreo and Street Kingdom showed they had =Tight Eyez. Overall definitely a great start off to the season. It made me all giddy inside and such. I DUB THEE… FANTABULOUS
----------------------------------------------------
INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES: 

IaMmE- Probably the most anticipated debut on ABDC. I must say I feel they delivered. They were ungodly clean with their choreography, they had that WOW rubik’s cube tutting formation, and mixed with the recycled formations and tutting of the brain bang, they delivered a solid performance. If someone watched this routine without seeing the video Brain Bang, their brains (having being melted) would run out their ears and onto the ground. But as a person who has geeked out over this crew for the better part of two months, I have seen brain bang a countless amount of times, so seeing them use the brain bang choreography to a mix of Lil Wayne’s right above it, it lost a bit of the original majesty to it. But nonetheless, seeing them on the ABDC stage was awesome, the rubik’s cube was awesome, the swag (747’s part) section was stuck in my mind and I know there is more WOW moments to come from this crew. Thusly…I DUB THEE… FREAK A LEAK

Phunk Phenomenon-A very underrated crew. They were known, but I wouldn’t say everyone was expecting them to put together the best performance of the night, but that’s exactly what they did. Their performance to “A Milli” by Lil Wayne was high paced, had wow moments, and included a very nice bboy section in the middle to make sure their energy level stayed high. Yes their bboy got a little caught/sloppy in the middle and traveled a bit with his spins, BUT, he recovered way better than most would have. The Superman dive by Xclusive aka baby Lebron (I mean, he does look like Lebron, foo real) was another wow moment. I really hadn’t seen anything like that before. It was very well done, and their swag went through the screen and slapped me in the face. It honestly made me want to watch them again and again, and thanks to DVR I was able to do just that. Thusly I DUB THEE… FANTABULOUS

REQUEST- I was anticipating their performance ever since I saw they were going to be on the show. I loved their Hip Hop International performance, and thought the most of them. They are an exceptional crew, but this performance to the song “Knockout” did not show what they really had. Blame it on the song, blame it on whatever you want to, but I didn’t think this performance was a great one. They really threw the theme out there. They had like three or four punching scenes in the routine which really wore out on me; there was no real WOW moment. However, they showed their passion, they showed their hard hitting clean choreography and they showed how high their energy level is. It made me want more from that performance, and I won’t be shocked if they are in the bottom in week three. So… I DUB THEE… GOODISH

ECLECTIC GENTLEMEN-I wanted this crew to come out and demolish ERRY THANG. But unfortunately, they did no such thing. They had an amazing moment thrown in there and that was their tutting section. THAT MAN IN THE MIDDLE HAD NO WRIST BONES! That visual was incredible. Unfortunately that’s where my amazement in this performance ends. The choreography they did was okay, nothing really exciting in that aspect, they tried to have another wow moment with the fire truck visual, but that failed… bad. D-trix said it best, it was like they were just walking across the stage. Wildabeast was used a lot, and I found myself paying attention to his hair more than I did his moves. It wasn’t a bad performance by any means, but it was nowhere near the talent level of the other crews. They got lost in some of their concepts and ultimately had a lackluster energy level. Hence… I DUB THEE… MEH

STREET KINGDOM- Seeing Tight Eyez on the show caught A LOT of attention, and the hype behind Tight Eyez showing himself to the ABDC stage was intense. Now to their performance, I would classify it as a letdown, but it wasn’t a big one. They started off in a tight circle and exploded out twice. First time reveal tight eyez mouthing the words “yall don’t know me” and a second time to reveal tight eyez once again. This time he went with mouthing “I’m coming”. This part of the routine was well done, and it did a good job in foreshadowing what was to come. Then the beat hit for “I Am Not A Human Being” and Street Kingdom starting doing their choreo. Honestly, even taking into exception the bad camera angles, the choreography was bad. I think they just threw that “fighting” section in there to waste time. I was honestly thinking “okay, when dey gonna get buck?” AND FINALLY THEY GOT BUCK. Tight Eyez freestyle was probably the best moment of the night. It got me out of my seat and I started yelling like it was happening, live, three feet in front of me. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of their performance and the end. The middle lost it a bit for me. It is definitely going to be interesting what they can come up with choreography wise in the coming weeks. Thusly I DUB THEE… GOODISH
-------------------------------------------------------
OH MY TITS moments-
   IaMmE’s Rubiks Cube
   Phunk Phenomeon’s Superman dive
   Eclectic Gentlemen’s Tutting section
   Street Kingdom’s ending 

Hey yo Zekeish-- The judges get it right? For this episode, they did. I couldn’t replace Eclectic Gentlemen with any other crew as the crew to go home. Unfortunately, they had to go. I definitely want to see where they go now, I'm sure with bit of growing, they can be a world class crew.
------------------------------------------------
This marks the end of my review, Tell me whatcha think and if you RESPECTFULLY disagree. No, you suck and I hate your dog. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------
Click here to return to the first page and to leave comments. Thanks again, Zekeish!