Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Teldon's ABDC Rewatch - Season 2, Episode 3 - Rock the Title Challenge

Here's Teldon's Rewatch Review of America's Best Dance Crew Season 2's Rock the Title Challenge. Thanks Teldon!
--------------------------------------------------------------
SAFE CREWS

A.S.I.I.D. dancing to "Roll" by Flo Rida featuring Sean Kingston
What I liked- I loved how they changed up their speed.  Going really fast in the beginning and then going really slow in the middle.
What I did not like- I really wasn't wowed by their psychical challenge.  I did appreciate the fact they did more then one roll, they should have made it pop more.  While it looked kinda neat it felt like they played safe with it.  In addition bad timing issues through out the routine.
Overall performance for the season- They have been getting better week by week.  They maintain a good and fun energy in all their routines.  Only problem is this week I did not see anything new from them.  Have they hit their stride before the half way mark?

SoReal Cru dancing to "Snake" by R.Kelly
What I liked-  Again another top notch opening to their routine.  They pulled off their challenge in a way I did not expect at the beginning. Much cleaner performance then last week and well thought out.  I also loved the fact they stayed in character of a snake the whole time.
What I did not like- JC's comment about it being too slow at the beginning.  I gotta disagree on that.  They pulled that off really well.
Overall performance for the season- Welcome to the show SoReal.  After flying under the radar for the last three weeks they finally start to show what they can do.  Though -- is it too late to make a good impression?

Super Cr3w dancing to "We Fly High" by Jim Jones
What I liked- Very, very clever floor work in the beginning to make their crew logo.  They were much cleaner and in sync this week with their basics.  In addition, almost all their stunts were framed well and fit.  For the challenge the basket toss (not sure about the term but that is the closet thing I could think of) was a smart move.  Add in the airplane illusion at the end and you have a great routine.
What I did not like- The flairs toward the end of the middle were world class, but it needed to be framed a bit better to make it stand out.  It by itself felt a touch out of place.
Overall performance for the season- They keep doing either really well or really bad.  So far there is no middle ground with them.  When they are together they are great.  When they are bad they feel like six individuals on stage. They need to feel like a whole unit each week.

Boogie Bots dancing "Game Over" by Lil' Flip
What I liked- So far best concept of the night.  They were able to use classic video game moves come to life on the stage.  The ending was the best part. Stunt work was well done and framed well.
What I did not like- It was sloppy the whole way through.  Also the first part of the beginning slowed it down just a bit much.
Overall performance for the season- They keep showing creativity each week but they get more and more sloppy with timing errors.  I think this week was their shark and they just jumped it.

Fanny Pak dancing to "Toy Soldier" by Britney Spears
What I liked- The fact they voluntarily used big props for their performance.  More so then SoReal, they stayed in character and did things to highlight it.  From the beginning of being the green army
men, the machine guns and finally the solider they created out of their props.  In addition they told a very neat story with their concept.
What I did not like- Minor timing issues in the middle.  Also I can never tell if they formation errors or not due to their style and the fact they use asymmetrical formations often.
Overall performance for the season- Easily one of the most, in not the most, creative crews on the show.  They keep raising th ebar on themselves every week.

Supreme Soul dancing to "Elevator" by Flo Rida featuring Timbaland
What I liked- The pulled the concept off well in the middle and at the end.  Their moves were nice as well.
What I did not like- What happened?  That was sloppy all the way through.
Overall performance for the season- Like Super Cr3w they just have no middle ground.  They are either really good or really bad.
----------------------------------------------
THE BOTTOM TWO

Did America get it right? I am gonna say yes to this.  XDF needed to be in the bottom for the past few weeks now and PS needs a kick in the butt to get back to where they should be.
This will be an interesting showdown.

Phresh Select dancing to "Big Things Poppin' (Do It)" by T.I.
What I liked- The ending worked the challenge very well.  The towel section was a nice touch.
What I did not like- It may be just me just I was lost the whole routine.  It just seemed like a bunch of random moves thrown together.
Overall performance for the season- They started really strong but they lack consistency.

Xtreme Dance Force dancing to "Earthquake" by Tech N9ne
What I liked- They pulled their challenge off in the beginning surprisingly well.
What I did not like- Like Phresh Select they were a complete mess tonight.  After the beginning I was lost as to what they were trying to do.
Overall performance for the season- They have been sliding further and further since the audition.  I don't think they can save themselves at this point.

Did the judges get it right?  While both were bad tonight they made the right call.  XDF just kept getting worse and worse as time went on.
-----------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on the eliminated crew- They started off really strong and pissed it away.  Maybe it was thier image or something else.  They just never brought back thier fire they had at the very beginning.

Thought on the episode as a whole-  With the exception of the bottom two, this episode finally woke me up to this season.  It started with a ton of potential but the first two weeks were lacking.  Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as some of the more mediocre teams get cut.
--------------------------------------------------------
Rankings based on tonight's performances
1. SoReal Cru
2. Super Cr3w
3. Fanny Pak
4. Boogie Bots
5. A.S.I.I.D.
6. Supreme Soul
7. Phresh Select
8. Xtreme Dance Force

Power rankings (based on average score)
1.  Fanny Pak (7.75)
2.  A.S.I.I.D. (7.5)
3.  Supreme Soul (6.75)
3.  Super Cr3w (6.75)
5.  SoReal Cru (6.25)
6.  Boogie Bots (5.75)
7.  Phresh Select (5)
8.  Distorted X (4.5) 10th place
10. Sass x 7 (2.25) 9th place
10. Xtreme Dance Force (2.25) eliminated

Teldon's Season Two Grade-A All American Bull**** Counter-2
Lil Mama Season Two Bring it Counter-0

--------------------------------------
Click here to return to the first page and to leave comments. Thanks again Teldon -- I am especially looking forward to the next review!